It’s going to be a tough few months for everyone. But one group who particularly need our support is the traders of Lavender Hill! Many are still open, still stocked, and ready to serve takeaways and delivery to the neighbourhood. Please make the most of the huge range on our doorstep – and maybe explore a few more of the local options you’ve not yet had a chance to try out. We’ve collected the details we know about who is offering what – including of they offer delivery, and a telephone number to contact then on. We’ve also flagged any restaurants that are especially new (including two that opened this week!), as the first weeks and months are a challenge even at the best of times.
- Bear in mind that it’s still important to remember social distancing even in a takeaway – so do keep space between you and others if in the premises.
- Most businesses have temporarily suspended the use of cash (as it can be a carrier of the virus) – so please be ready for contactless payment.
- El Patio – Tapas Bar & restaurant, 171 Lavender Hill (where The Lavender used to be). Brand new – just opened this week. Offering delicious meals for takeaway, with a delivery option coming soon. Here’s a photo of the menu (thanks to one of our readers). Telephone 020 7978 5242 or elpatio.uk/takeaway. ElPatioTapasBar on Facebook.
- Lavender Hill Fish & Chips – New – the long absence of a fish & chip shop, following the closure of Salisbury’s, was finally addressed when they open a few weeks ago, at 23 Lavender Hill. Your author hasn’t yet been but the reports back from others are very good. Offering takeaway and, as of very recently, delivery via Deliveroo.
- Pizzeria Pellone – Neapolitan wood fired pizza, currently open and offering home delivery via deliveroo et al. 020 8062 7133 / pizzeriapellonelondon.co.uk
- I Cook U Eat – Lebanese restaurant. Brand new – with particularly awkward timing, our forst Lebanese restaurant opened for the first time this week at 62 Lavender Hill, where Howdy was previously. Open for collection, as well as for delivery via Just Eat. 020 7228 0222. Link to menu.
- Khan’s Indian Restaurant – well established with a lower-fat-than-average curry free of suspiciously garish colourings. Remains open for takeaway (call in advance for a generally accurate estimate of collection time – usually between 15 and 25 minutes), and for delivery via the likes of Deliveroo. Link to website & menu.
- Tumnan Thai – still open and offering takeaway, as well as delivery via the likes of Deliveroo. 163 Lavender Hill. 020 7223 1046. Link to menu.
- Siam Brasserie – 87 Lavender Hill – still open for takeaway and delivery. 020 8244 8319.
- Nancy Lam’s Enak Enak (Indonesian). Our long established Indonesian restaurant (over 30 years on Lavender Hill!) remains open from Wednesday to Saturday, for collection only. 020 7924 3148. Link to Menu.
- Donna Margherita at 183 Lavender Hill – still doing takeaway and delivery, and can supply some core food items too.
- Sightly further afield from Lavender Hill, Pi Pizza at the top of Battersea Rise is running a delivery-only service via Deliveroo, Uber Eats and Just Eat – details here.
- Basilico pizza, Da Vinci Pizza, Firezza and Pizza Hut delivery are also open as usual for delivery. Note that Pizza Hut are no longer offering a customer collection-in-store option.
- Bui Vien Vietnamese restaurant, the Four Thieves, the Fat Crab, Pizza Express and Nando’s – as well as Brewdog and Cote on Battersea Rise, are closed for the time being.
Bakeries & Cafes
- Maiolica Cafe – New – Sicilian cafe which opened a couple of months ago, on Wandsworth Road, not far from the eastern end of Lavender Hill (where The Roastery used to be). A range of cooked breakfasts, pastas and salads. Open for takeaway, and also for delivery via Deliveroo, Just Eat et al. They also have a range of vegetables, fruit, bread, eggs and other foods for sale, and are doing free delivery of a fruit and veggies case in the immediate neighbourhood. 789 Wandsworth Road, 07955 007000.
- Sendero coffee – The coffee shop at the corner of Lavender Hill and Queenstoen Road, as well as the brand new one at 37 Patcham Terrace (see our article here if you hadn’t realised they had two branches!) remain open for takeaway, with revised opening hours They are also selling a small range of food and fruit.
- Cafe Parisienne (cafe & all day breakfast…) – offering bacon sarnies, and an extensive menu of cafe foods, as well as sandwiches, soups and fresh juices. Our long established local (ever cheerful owner Kazim is pictured at the top of our article!) remains open for takeaway. 225 Lavender Hill, 020 7924 5523.
- Social Pantry Cafe – still open and offering takeaway food and quality coffee – as well as delivery of breakfast, lunch and dinner packs – details here.
- 2Love coffee – New – we think they remain open for takeaway but on much reduced hours (details to be confirmed).
- [update – SweetSmile are temporarily closed, due to an equipment fault that’s unrelated to Coronavirus, but which can’t be fixed for now! Terrible luck, but we’ll report as soon as things are up and running again] Sweet Smile (bakery). New – our local bakery has been making waves since they opened a couple of months ago, with breads and pastries of all kinds, and Portuguese treats. They have now closed for the week, but are trialling a Saturday delivery option within a 1 mile radius. Details will be at facebook.com/sweetsmileclapham.
- Caffe Nero has closed for the time being. The pubs and bars are unsurprisingly also all closed for now, including the Four Thieves (pictured below), The Crown, Gas Monkey, and Sugar Cane. Il Molino were offering coffee, quiches, croissants, cakes and salads – as well as a small range of other fresh produce – to takeaway, but as far as we can tell they are now closed.
It’s not just restaurants and cafes though – while the supermarkets and food stores have been seeing more trade than they ever wanted, and many others (including all the charity shops, and pretty much all the barbers, salons and hairdressers) have of course closed, some of our more specialist shops who are used to getting custom from far and wide, now need a hand too – so try to think about them first if you’re looking at online and delivery options.
- Decor Express – Lavender Hill store still open for now (with service at the front door, and a 2-metre queue spacing marked out on the ground outside), but encouraging everyone to use click and collect where possible. They are also able to do contact-free delivery to nearby locations. Note that they have a large stock of blue cleaning paper rolls. Details here.
- Barkers at 8 Queenstown Road remains open for household and hardware essentials. Maximum 2 in the shop at one time. 020 7622 0122.
- The London Framing Studio – every kind of picture framing! Still open, even though the shop is closed – they can arrange collection and delivery – details on their website. 020 7223 9334 or 07471 653 019.
- Hamiltons Dry Cleaners are open as usual but with reduced opening hours (Monday to Saturday 10-5). 07447 000633 for any urgent enquiries.
- PowerPrint – printing and reprographics services – the shop’s closed, but some services are still running and their e-mail and telephone are still being monitored. Website. 020 7223 8953.
- Gabriella Sandham Lingerie & swimwear – still open online. 0207 223 5558 / gabriellasandham.com / 020 7223 5558.
- Alex shoe repairs and key cutting – shop’s closed but can still offer services by appointment. 020 7223 4931.
- Get a grip cycle workshop & sales – still open when we checked recently, but with revised opening hours and of course new rules in the shop – details on their website.
- Drumshack is open for delivery and for collection at the store door – email@example.com / 020 7228 1000 / drumshack.co.uk.
- Fabrics galore – another top spot for crafts if you can sew (or want to learn how to). The Lavender Hill shop is closed, but the online store is definitely open. 020 7738 9589 – link.
- Partridges art supplies – stuck with the kids at home for weeks? Partridges have the paint, paper, card, brushes and craft supplies you need to get creative. 020 7228 7271. (current status still to be confirmed)
- All creatures vets are open by pre-appointment only for urgent cases only.
- Lavender Hill DIY. (details to be confirmed) – why not pick up what you need for those long running DIY projects you never quite got round to, or some seeds to plant with the children?
If you know of other businesses near Lavender Hill that is doing delivery services and should be on our list, or any of the information needs updating – please let us know. And please spread the word. Let’s all help our neighbours, as well as our local traders.